Friday, July 28, 2006

First Random Thought

I decided to start this blog in hopes of drawing some attention to the things that I feel are a problem with my kids' schools. It's not that I'm against TPS, it's just that I think they currently have the focus on the wrong things.
First example: School Uniforms
It's not that I don't like school uniforms, but if I wanted my kids to wear them I would send them to private schools, not public. I could understand them having the kids wear uniforms if our schools had high ratings, but we don't. Many of the schools in the district are in academic emergency. I also think that if the students are required to wear uniforms, the staff should wear them also, and at TPS the staff gets to wear what ever they want to, well, not jeans, but I'm sure you understand what I mean.
But I think that there are more things they should put the focus on rather than making these kids wear uniforms. For many families it causes financial hardships. It's not like these kids wear uniforms 24/7, they still need street clothes, so you have to buy double the amount of clothes that you normally would. On top of that, if you don't catch the stores at the right time, it can be impossible to find the right type of clothes for the right time of year. It's much easier to find long sleeved shirts when you need short sleeved ones, etc.
So, if anyone reads this, and you are somehow involved with Toledo Public School District in Toledo, Ohio, tell me what your thoughts are on this please!
Jo

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jo-
I am both a parent and a teacher in TPS so I have seen both sides of the issue. I like the uniforms at the elementary level where I teach (3rd gr.) I think that too many times manufacturers of childrens' clothing try to make clothing items too grown up for young children (especially girls). I never liked shopping when my girls were younger although they usually chose t-shirts and jeans.
Before the dress code at school- we had to fix the saggy pants with yarn, or rope( this was from the office,) or cover up sleeveless or spaghetti straps with sweaters, etc. You do sound like the type of parent who is there to care about what your children wear. At least the High school policy allows for more color choice, and students may wear tennis shoes. My daughter was not pleased and we are having trouble finding comfortable shoes that have 1 inch heels. she ended up buying a couple pair of dress pants, 2 skirts, some polo shirts . We already had a lot of nice outfits for school..........so it's been pretty expensive.

Jo said...

Hi there!
So sorry I haven't replied back to you yet, it's been a VERY busy week.
First, welcome to Random Thoughts, I'm glad you've visited! I was begining to hear an echo around here ;-)
I agree with you 100% about how they make childrens clothing too grown up! It never amazes me the things I see in the stores for small children, I think designers want our kids to grow up too fast anymore!
I really wouldn't mind the uniforms if there were a little more "leeway"(forgive my spelling), but I think requiring parents to buy 2 different kinds of shoes as well as specific uniforms is too much, especially considering that a good portion of the families in TPS are on the lower end of the income scale, my family included. 99% of children wear tennis shoes and/or sandals rather than dress shoes these days. Sometimes that's not a good thing, but most shoes are made fairly well, so as long as it's a decent shoe, I think that is ok. Sadly tennis shoes and sandals are not allowed. Now, I can understand not allowing a kid to wear flip flops to school, but I see nothing wrong with a good pair of sandals that do have a strap around the back, whether they are made of leather or man made materials. I also think that they need to look at what manufacturers are making when they decide how long a childs shorts or a girls skirt/skort need to be. 99.9% of those that I have fond in the stores come no where near what they say is acceptable, including the ones that are in school uniform sections. This is something that I have some very strong feelings on, and then they announce so close to the school year that they are putting uniforms into the high schools. My first thought was all of the parents that were done purchasing school clothes already and now have to go back and try to find something when the selections are very narrowed and picked through.
Anyway, sorry for going on here, as you can tell, I could talk about this one for a long time ;o) Welcome again, I look forward to hearing more from you!
Jo

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

Jo,

A couple of points about the uniforms:

Uniforms are supposed to remove distractions from the classroom, making it possible to become better performing schools; a legitimate reason in my book.

So many families have gotten uniforms at little or no cost, thanks to various school programs, that I find the cost to be a rather minor issue; if a parent truly can't afford uniforms, they are apparently "provided."

Best wishes for a successful blog ;-)

Anonymous said...

hooda- I'm under the impression that uniforms are not provided at HS level. So, it still is costly. I found some uniform type pants at Kohls' today, in the $20-30 range.
Also Jo- whole shoes are required for safety reasons, as is the reason no hooded tops can be worn.
You can always find other things to allow your kids choices about....accessories for example...have fun
;)