Saturday, November 04, 2006

School Safety On Election Day

If you read the article linked in the title you'll see where some local schools are opting for election day to be an in service day so that the kids aren't in school while people are coming in and out while voting.

I personally thing it's a great idea to have the kids not be in school on election day simply because of the fact that complete strangers are going in and out of the schools and although I'm sure the schools that do have voters coming in and out take precautions, there is always the chance that something could happen.

TPS has opted not to close the 29 schools that have polling in them on election day. I'm sure that they do have their reasons and it's not for me to question, but if you read down into the article you'll see where they interview Crystal Ellis and his reasons for not closing TPS schools on election day.

Considering what I have personally been through regarding violence in TPS, Mr. Ellis' explanation comes as no surprise to me. I'm not sure if those are his personal opinions or if it's an across the board answer, but I think it's sad that this is the approach they take to protecting our children! This sentence got me the most - "We'd end up curbing our freedoms if we made everything so secure," he said. I don't think it's curbing our freedom to protect our children one bit, but maybe I'm wrong.

Thank you for reading!

1 comment:

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

Mr. Ellis' comments are disappointing but understandable because it is a political answer.

He knows better.

However, in answering, he chose to protect TPS's political ass, so to speak.

A better answer would have been a parent's answer, not a ploiticians...