Thursday, November 02, 2006

November changes

Hello everyone! As you all know from the weather outside, November is a month of change for our area weather wise.

It is also going to bring a change to this blog. My original thought when I pulled my last child out of TPS was that I was going to let this go and wash my hands of everything TPS related. It's very disheartening to see this go on in my own family, but from the comments and emails that I have received from those of you who read this blog, I have also found out that I am not the first to go through situations like this, nor do I feel I will be the last.

We are pursuing legal action, not only against the child that assaulted our child, but also against the principal and the school district. Our goal is simply to see that no other child or parent has to go through what we have gone through. Children should always feel safe when they are the responsibility of a school, whether that is in school buildings or on a school bus. In this day and age with so much violence going on in schools across the country I feel that all schools should take a front seat approach to protecting a child from any sort of abuse, harassment or intimidation, whether it is from their peers or a person in authority in the schools. We need administrators in our childrens schools that will treat each and every child with the fairness and equality that we all strive to get as an adult. If our children are not treated fairly and equally when they are young, they will not treat others fairly and equally as adults.

With that being said, the change that is going to happen here will be that I am going to start documenting the changes in my children after pulling them out of TPS and enrolling them in a neighboring public school district. I will also talk about the things in their new school that I feel make the school a much more positive learning environment for not only my children but the other children that attend there.

The one thing, however, that I will not do, for my children's safety, is mention the school district that I have enrolled my children into. I will say though that if you feel a change of schools is something your children need, but do not feel charter schools or home schooling are an option, investigate as to whether or not your neighboring school districts do open enrollment. Many that I know of do. Some charge for your children to attend, some don't. Some will work with you on transportation, others won't. But I truly feel that as a parent we have to stand up and do what is in the best interest of our children, whether it is for their safety or for their education.

My family is having to make many sacrifices in order to change our children's school, most of them good ones, but I have no doubt from what I've seen from them already that ANY sacrifice we make will be well worth it.

So keep checking back, as I get time I will start telling you about their new school!

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

The word that you're looking for might be "tick" or "twitch," Kate.

Glad to hear of your son's "miraculous" recovery, so you must have done what's best for him ;-)

Pity the children who don't get the same help...

Most of our teachers ARE very gifted; and then, there are the rest.

Throw in a dysfunctional administration and you have the main problems in a tidy little nut shell. . .

Makes you kind of wonder what it would be like if everyone was paid based on objective performance standards, doesn't it?

Anonymous said...

Hooda thunkit-
I'm not sure I agree with you on pay for meeting objective performance standards as we are not all given the ideal material to begin with. For example, students come without eyeglasses,pencils, homework, breakfast, smelling of urine and feces, etc. The other day I pulled a long metal shard from a student's shoe. I have bandaids for all the cuts and scrapes. I give out books by the dozens so that my students will actually know what it's like to own a book. The smiles are immeasurable. I receive letters from old students. They smile and wave in the halls. I get hugs. However, I have ten Third graders who are "limited" (364-384) on the OAT in reading, out of 27. This does not make me look like a good teacher according to standards in place.... I have decided to tutor the low ones because they are behind in vocabulary -something i would not have if I taught in some suburbs of Toledo. Wish me luck. TPS teacher