Monday, August 21, 2006

What are your thoughts?

In this post Continuous Improvement Lisa Renee made the comment about how she feels the way the state grades the schools is like trying to put a peg into a hole whether it fits or not. That got me to thinking about this whole testing system and the kids.

When it comes time for the kids to do the achievement testing the schools try to prepare them as well as they can. I remember when my youngest was in the 4th grade, her school had special tutoring and programs in the weeks leading up to the testing that the kids could participate in. Most of it was during school, but some of it was also afterwards. They really seemed to work with the kids to get them as ready for the tests as they could, but one thing that they stressed to the kids was that the kids didn't need to get stressed out over the testing either. After the tests were over, they had like a celebration party for the kids, just to congratulate them for a job well done.

I believe that alot of people think that there needs to be a different way of grading the schools. I think that if it were possible, the schools should be grouped together according to enrollment, if it's not already. I also feel that there should be an A, B, C, D, E rating. If you're doing continuously good, that's great, but it still doesn't make alot of sense. If our kids do better in school, do they get a grade of "continuous improvement"? No, they get a letter grade. I think it would make it a bit easier on everyone if you could just look at the school and see the letter grade. If necessary, make a side note of "continuous improvement, excellent, efficient", etc. I as a parent think this would make reading these reports alot easier.

So, tell me what you think. Am I totally clueless here, if so, let me know.

**********Second Topic**********

I figured I'd lump this all into one post since this is also an opinion one. I seen on the news tonight that the board voted 3 to 2 against putting a levy on the ballot in the fall in order to give the teachers raises. I was in the middle of making dinner so I missed everything that was said, except the vote. I did see that it was the normal 3 against the normal 2. Sadly, until there are different board members, I see the board votes continuing to be those 3 against those 2. There has to be something that can be done to change this because those that are voting aren't being hurt by this, it is those things that are being voted for/against that are hurting. Do our teachers deserve raises, ABSOLUTELY!!! I honestly don't know alot about tonights meeting or the whole story about this vote, so if someone else does, please feel free to post about it or email me if you would rather remain anonymous.

Have a great night, hope everyone is enjoying these cooler temps!
Jo

No comments: