Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Uniforms again

I'm sitting here watching 13 ABC news and I see that TPS has put the lovely uniforms into the High Schools now. Why does this not amaze me? Who in the world do they think they are kidding? I know that there are many people out there that think these uniforms are a good thing, but I'm sorry, I personally do not! I feel that they are an invasion on childrens choices. I think that a child uses how they dress to express how they are and that it is wrong to take this away from them in a public school setting.

Look at Springfield School district. They tried this uniform code in the late 90's and it didn't last one full school year, and there were many parents in favor of it there, but they knew it was wrong. How long will it take for TPS to realize it is wrong?.

Yes, I do agree that there are way too many kids that push a normal dress code to the max, but that falls back on the child AND their parents. Too many parents let their kids walk out that door in the morning knowing that they are wearing something they simply shouldn't be wearing, but rather than argue with them, or have their kid be the "uncool" kid, they just ignore it. Just like the males who wear their pants with their underwear sticking out, and the girls who wear their jeans with their thongs sticking out, it's gross and it's WRONG, but it's not up to the school to deal with it, it is up to the parent. And as I said, too many parents don't want the argument, so they say nothing.

Am I a perfect parent, NO WAY! I make mistakes, but I also take the time to make my children accountable for what they do and who they are. I do not take the blame for my child, I make them take the blame and pay the price for what they do, it's what you have to do to help teach a child to be responsible. Too many kids these days simply are not held accountable for their actions, the parents try to argue it when they know what their child did was wrong.

As a parent I am putting out a challenge to anyone and everyone (INCLUDING myself) to stand up for what is right and have that argument with your child because you know what they want to do isn't right, but they want to do it just to be "cool". Step in and show them that although it's something they want to do, it's not the best choice and help them understand what the best choice is. Do this just once, and I think that we'll all see the argumentive situations decrease just a little. Stop ifnoring and start changing. I'm sure it won't be easy, especially for me, but I'm going to try, no matter how minor it is. Please, if you do this, let me know how it went, and I will do the same!

4 comments:

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

Jo,

”I feel that they are an invasion on childrens choices.”

Then, you may be part of the problem.

Children, especially young children don’t really have “choices” until later. While in school, children’s choices should be kept in perspective, regarding education vs. their choices or, (perceived) “rights.

In other words, our choices didn’t mean diddly squat to Sister Mary Mafiosa when we were in school, and we:

1. survived
-and-
2. learned


”How long will it take for TPS to realize it is wrong?.”

Most uniform “experiments” seem to prove otherwise. But, they are only successful IF the parents agree and support it.

Give it a couple of years before judging…

The rest of your argument is essentially right on the mark, the only thing that concerns me is your unwillingness to join in supporting the experiment.

We are all waiting for more time to pass and for more data (either way) to come in before judging whether or not uniforms are a good thing, or not, won’t you join us?

Jo said...

Hi there hooda!
I'm sorry you feel that I may be part of the problem. Although my children are "young" to me, one is in their teens and the other is almost there. I feel that they have many choices at this stage in their lives, but as their parent it is my "job" to help them make the right choices. I have given the uniforms a "few years", my kids were in TPS elementary the year that the uniforms started. I didn't care for them then, and I still don't care for them now. I had a previous uniform experience several years ago at Springfield schools and that one made it half the year, and has not been put back into effect since. I did not allow my kids (prior to uniforms) go to school inappropriately dressed. I made sure their clothes were not only acceptable, but also comfortable.
I'm sorry that my being unwilling to simply give in to something I feel is wrong concerns you. This is obviously something we won't see eye to eye on, because I will not change the way I feel about this topic. If I wanted my children to wear uniforms to school then I would send them to private school. If TPS were in the "Academic Excellence" area then maybe uniforms would be appropriate, but I do not feel, with our ratings/grades where they are, that putting these children in uniforms is the right thing to do. I also know that I am not the only parent in my childrens school(s) that feel this way. Myself and many other parents were never asked for our voice in this decision, so I would love to know what parents were given the choice to give their opinions on this. I will admit one thing about uniforms that is convenient and that is the fact that it makes getting kids ready for school in the mornings much easier, simply because there are fewer choices. But I feel by limiting those choices that we are not enabling the kids to make the correct choices in life, and as parents we are responsbile to make sure when they go out that door to school in the mornings that the choices they have made are the correct ones. Many parents simply turn their heads, not all, just the ones whose children pushed the dress code to the point of all children having to wear these uniforms. So once again, after my children wearing them for 3 years, I still am as much against them as the first day they wore them. But I do appreciate and respect how you feel also.
Jo

bobthedad said...

The uniforms alone won't make any test scores improve. I see them as a way for TPS to say enough is enough and to provide them with one less thing to waste time monitoring. The dress code in my high school handbook from 30+ years ago took up about half a page. For my kids it requires a full chapter of specifics for none of this and none of that and it probably still leaves room for a hidden or coded message that they missed. My kid didn't abuse the dress code before and we had to buy new clothes that aren't likely to be worn anywhere else, but I support the decision if it reduces another distraction from the learning process. Teachers have to work hard enough preparing lessons and don't need to be wasting class time measuring hemlines and interpreting Big Johnson t-shirts. I can't wear just anything I want to work either, so welcome to the real world kids.

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

Jo,

Maybe you misunderstood my concerns; let me summarize:

The present administration feels that uniforms may be helpful in delivering a solid education to our children, by removing some of the distractions in the schools.

I think we should support them and their decision to try this and we'll see how it works out.

Uniforms deserve an honest and fair trial, IMO.

I personally prefer to supervise my children's clothing choices, but I understand that not all parents do this.


For the record:

My children are now in their thirty's, never attended TPS, but did have to follow a dress code, which I supported.

If a TPS dress code could be sucessfully implemented and policed, I would favor that as a preferred choice, but I understand the realities of trying to implement and maintain a dress code in a public school environment.

Please understand that I meant nothing personal by my comments, just echoing what I've heard from within TPS.

(I do have a relative connection to TPS and TPS news though.)