Monday, September 18, 2006

A bit disappointed

OK, so we're into what, the 4th week of school now? Although school has gone along smoothly with really no complaints, I'm seeing no follow through at all from the meeting at the end of the school year last year with the SAT team at my eldest childs school. I have left 2 messages at the school personally for the head of the SAT team, as well as one phone message and have yet to receive a reply to any of my messages even acknowledging that they were at least received. I'm going to try one more time tomorrow personally going into the school, if I get no results from that by the beginning of next week then I see where I have no other result but to contact the attorney we talked to at the end of the year last year who asked us to get back in touch with them if this exact situation happened. I do understand that the first few weeks of school are a bit hectic for every staff member, but I was assured at the meeting in May that I WOULD be contacted no later than the 2nd week of school by the SAT team. Wish me luck!
Thanks for reading!

5 comments:

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

Jo,

Good Luck!

Unfortunately the promises that were made last May, may not be worth the paper they were written on.

My instincts are telling me that calling a lawyer is too drastic, but having watched TPS at play for over 20 years now, I'd advise you to go for it.

Once you don't, they will dismiss you and your concerns.

If you show them that you mean business, they might keep their promises, figuring that's the only way to keep you out of their hair.

It's kinda like driving heavy construction equipment up their backsides, they might NOT like you doing it, but they will understand that you will do it.


(And, they get paid very well, despite making you force them to do their jobs...)

In the end, they will grow to hate you, but they will respect you, albiet grudgingly.

Or, if you want to get their attention, tell the principal (and Dan Burns) that you think your children are going to be sick during the week of the October count ;-)

Jo said...

See, that's what burns me up. Why should I have to pay to get what my child is legally entitled to? By paying I mean pay an attorney. They made a promise and they're not living up to it. Like I said, I will give it until next week to be "fair". But I feel that 4 weeks and 4 attempts to contact are more than enough. How difficult is it to simply acknowledge that you recieved a message?
It would be ALOT easier if TPS had voice mail or email acces for certain things. You can't even leave a voicemail message for the principal. SAT teams are an extremely important area in every school and I've learned that you can in no way rely on the office staff to deliver messages. It's one of those "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situations. This really is not how I want to handle this situation, but they're putting me into a position where I really have no other choice. Either that or I will simply enroll my children in a neighboring school district!

Jo

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

Jo,

If you pull your children out of TPS, do it before the October count.

That's the only thing that they consistently understand. It hits them where they live...

Unknown said...

I agree 100% on the email availability - not only is it something that you should have but it would make communication especially when it comes to scheduling so much easier for everyone. I also think there should be some sort of voicemail system for those who don't have computer access.

What's worse is when they have a listed email and they don't respond or it's bounced back.

Hooda - you made me laugh with that last response.

:-)

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

Sadly Lisa, it's more true than funny...