Thursday, September 21, 2006

Random post

This post is going to be a bit "gruff", but I really think it needs to be put out there.

First, please know that I in NO way want this blog to be a place where TPS is being slammed, my hope is that it becomes a source of information for those involved with TPS, whether they are a parent, a teacher, an administrator or someone outside looking for info about TPS.

That being said I'm hearing through my "sources" that several people received phone calls this week, myself included, that they have been waiting for since this school year began. It makes me feel better, but I also feel like I've been given a band aid. I can't help but wonder what has taken so long for these phone calls to be made and why it would take someone mentioning taking legal measures or pulling their child out of TPS for action to be taken? I'm glad my blog might be getting read by people who have this kind of "pull" but it saddens me too.

I understand that our school system is in "trouble". If you go over to Toledo Talk you'll find a story about some of the "injustices" going on in our schools, and people debating why this is happening. There are alot of good points in that thread and I highly reccomend that you go check it out!

But it comes down to every parent, teacher and administrator working for these children. I've seen children who are pushed aside, not only by their peers, but by teachers also, for simply being "undesirable" or too much of a handful. It is those children who need the extra help. But NO child, or their families, should have to fight for what legally belongs to them! It's time for our schools to step up to the plate and do their jobs. It's not just the teachers, it is the EINTIRE administration.

The discord that is going on in TPS right now is RIDICULOUS! If it's not the board members arguing at board meetings it's people who once held a "position" in a school telling parents they need to do things that will hurt the entire district simply to draw attention to their specific school.

Look at the entire NW Ohio area right now. How many large employers are shutting the doors and closing up shop? What will losing those jobs do, not only to the community, but to the schools? Maumee alone is talking about possibly losing more than $300,000 because of losing students because of Ford closing. Yes, I know they are not TPS, but why do you think TPS is doing so poorly? Look at how badly the entire area has been going down hill the past few years. Crime rates are high, unemployment is up and the inner city areas are getting worse and worse.

TPS is getting worse because the entire area is getting worse. No one looks out for anyone but themselves anymore. What happened to helping each other out? What happened to the old saying "Love they brother as you would love yourself"? I think this time of year more than any other brings out the worst in everyone because of the slam politics that we see on our tv's on a regular basis. Everyone is so worried about pointing out the bad that the other person is doing when in fact they're doing even worse things, it's just that no one has pointed them out yet.

I think the entire TPS administration, from Mr. Foley down, needs to step back and look at the past few years from our eyes, as parents with children who are going through this. Why do you think we are so angry and unhappy? It's easy, you do not communicate with us or each other. You do nothing but bicker and fight amongst yourselves, yet you expect us to be happy about it? I don't think so! I can guarantee that not ONE of you would be happy if you were having to go through what we are having to go through! You put these commercials on the tv about what a great school TPS is, yet when the news comes on we see clips of you arguing and acting like immature children at a board meeting and making the entire district look like it's being ran by idiots! JUST STOP PLEASE!!! If you want us to trust you with our childrens educations and treat you with respect, you need to first start working together and treating each other with respect. No one will ever always agree with each other, but every one in this world needs to respect that fact that everyone is entitled to their own opinion even if it isn't the same as your own. We don't need "three for change", we need "five for the kids"!!!

Thanks for reading!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

You are right that it shouldn't take blogging about something to get a reaction. You are also right much more needs to be done, especially when it comes to communication and accessibility.

This area is also going to face some deeper financial struggles with the closings and we still don't have any real answers from the Ohio General Assembly as to school funding. Now more than ever the Board of Education has to find a way to work together.

Jo said...

Lisa,
It worries me as to what is going to happen in the area with all of the job losses that are going on. My only hope is that we can "shift" things at TPS a bit while Mr. Foley is here and get heading in a better direction. I like what I'm seeing so far this year, which is a good change from the past few years. But I still stand by the fact that no matter which school we are talking about, for any school to succeed the entire staff needs to work together as a whole, as the saying goes, one bad apple can ruin the whole bushel.

Kate,
I need to start attending more of the board meetings so that I can get a better grasp on things. I don't know anywhere near what I'd like to about our schools. But I agree with what you said, I'm amazed how well Mrs. Fisher does bite her tounge, I could never do what she does, nor do I feel I could do a better job than any of the board members. I think they all are just as frustrated as we are any more. But I must stress that they HAVE to start working together as a team for our schools, or they will ultimately make things worse if they continue on the path they are on. I may not like their opinions, but I do respect them for doing what they have done for our schools and our children. Sadly, I wouldn't even know where to start to "fix" our broken school board. I guess I'd stick them in a room and tell them that they couldn't come out until they could get along and play together nicely...LOL. I think the only thing that could be done would be to bring in an outside party who specializes in something like this, or get rid of the one "bad apple". But I don't think that last suggestion is an option. Let's just hope something changes SOON!
Jo

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

Well said Jo and spot on.

Funny how a few blog posts sometimes loosen the log jam. . .

I feel that things will not get better at the board until Mr. Sykes is gone.

I'll refrain from saying any more, for now.

Jo said...

hooda,
Sadly, I think you are right. I'm sure at some point Mr. Syke's intentions were good, but now they are doing nothing more than hurting our schools and our children. If things do not change soon I see TPS sprialing down even more. We look to our Superintendent and our school board for leadership and when that leadership isn't there or it's broken it has the domino effect on our schools. Hopefully things will change. I think that Mrs. Fisher is looking in the right direction for our schools but without the backing of the rest of the board her ideas will go no where. There has to be unity amongst the board members and it has to happen soon, for our schools future and our childrens futures.
Jo

Jo said...

Kate,
I would love to go but I have a doctors appointment scheduled for 6:20 that I cannot postpone or cancel. But how about a "date" for the October meeting? :-)
Jo