Sunday, October 29, 2006

Hello

I thought I would stop in here and fill you all in and what all is going on with my TPS "situation".

As you all know, last week we had 2 instances where my eldest child was assaulted on the school bus in the afternoon. We tried our best to handle this situation with the school principal, but she made it very obvious that she felt my son being assaulted was not a situation that needed to be dealt with quickly, if at all. She kept putting us off telling us she needed to hear from the bus driver before she could do anything about it, which we later found out was wrong. Then she did speak to the child who assaulted my child, but only after we involved the school officer and the Middle School Superintendent. But the child said it was a game that was played often on the bus and my child was a willing participant. Then the bus driver was spoken to and his reaction was "There is no way something like this is going on on my bus, I look in the mirror at least one time every 10 seconds". OK, tell me if I'm wrong on this one, but if he's looking in the mirror that often how is he able to drive the bus? And how is it he says there is no way this is happening on his bus, yet the child who assaulted my child has openly admitted to doing this?

I cannot comment too much more about this situation simply because our attorney has advised me that it might not be the best thing for me to do. Our attorney has also advised us to remove our oldest child from TPS, and we have. This wasn't an easy thing for us to do because our oldest child was very happy in school this year and didn't want to leave their teachers and friends. But the reality of the situation and our personal past history with this principal have proven to us that even though our child is not the one that pushed this issue, the principal will target our child in retaliation.

I will keep you posted as I can, but will have to pre-approve what I post here with my attorney first.

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

Jo said...

Kate,
I have called the Superintendant's office and emailed him, and have yet to hear anything, which I find VERY disappointing, but not surprising.

Sadly the administrators are making the teachers look bad in many situations and are ultimately adding to the downfall of many good high schools because of their lack of ability to act fairly and without prejudice in many situations like this. Until the schools start meeting those basic human needs that you and I know are not being met, our schools will continue to be unsafe and full of problems because parents who do not allow their children to act out violently will do what you and I have done and simply remove our children from viloent and potentially harmful environments.

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

TPS is notorious for not responding to parents.

But sadly, they know how to respond to lawyers; they smile, nod in all of the right places, promise you anything that you want to hear, and then forget it right after you do, so following through is important if change is to happen.

Funny thing though, they never seem to learn from their mistakes, even when ma$$ive $ettlement$ are involved.

Now, if people lots their jobs, maybe somebody would begin paying attention.

They (The experts, the teachers) and the administration are always right and you are always wrong.

If you tried to sell the stiry to television, no one would buy it, it's too unbelievable...