Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Just a little update

We finally heard from my child's principal this morning, simply telling us that until the incident report comes in from the bus driver her hands are tied. My husband told her this was unacceptable. He then went personally to the schools police officer and explained what was going on. To our surprise the officer said that the principals hands weren't as tied as she proclaimed they were, they she should have immediately informed him of what was going on and he could have filed a report AND that it is in no way necessary for our child to be present when the child is confronted. The officer told us that he would go to the school in the morning and get a report filed, that we could pick up a copy of it on Friday and take it to the juvenile prosecutors office and press charges against this child for assault against our child. He was totally blown away that he had not been informed of this yet and was quite helpful. It hit me though how the principal isn't following her actions from last years incident. Last year the two boys and my child were called down to the office immediately following us talking to her about what was going on yet this year she has to wait for an incident report? I know one wasn't filed last year, so what's the difference?

You know, with all of the violence that is going on in our schools across the US these days, you'd think school administrators would take a front seat approach to violence amongst students. I can't help but feel that by sitting back and doing nothing this principal isn't guilty of at least child negligence, if not something more! But that's just my opinion, and it obviously means nothing to her or the TPS staff as I still haven't received a phone call back yet from Dr. Adam's office.....NO surprise there at all! I have, however, contacted all local media informing them of this incident, so even though TPS won't do anything about this, maybe my attorney or the media will!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

The worst part about this is the knowledge that it shouldn't be this hard for our kids or for parents to get a response from the school.

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

Another buck-passing shell game TPS style.

If you hear horror stories about TPS, believe them; more times than not they are true.

And they want you to bring your children back from the charter schools...

Jo said...

Just a quick update, I was called back by one of the media sources I contacted and they said that TPS stated that they'd be willing to put a camera on the bus, but that I needed to contact them and agree to this. I told the person I was talking to that if TPS felt they needed to do that it was their choice, but that I was not going to agree with anything nor would I contact them directly, I would, however, pass the information along to our attorney and let our attorney deal with it. At that point I was told that they (the media outlet) were going to "close the case" since we were persuing legal action, which I said was fine.