Thursday, October 26, 2006

THANK YOU!!

I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for your support in this! I've received many emails and even a couple of phone calls from people offering me their support, and I really appreciate them!

I have to tell you something that really doesn't apply to my oldest child and the situation that's going on, but it does help me realize that I made the right decision in pulling my youngest child out of TPS.

Tonight was parent teacher conferences at my youngest childs new school. Now mind you, the past 2 years all I have gotten is negativity about my child from the school she just left. Everything was a fight and a hassle. This child went from being a straight A student to a C and D student immediately. The second week of the school year last year I was told by the teacher that it was going to be a very long year for my child. Things never went up from there and school became a hassle daily, with tears and arguments daily.

Three weeks ago tomorrow I made the decision that I had had enough and I enrolled my youngest child in a neighboring school district. It meant some major changes for all of us at home, but they were changes we were willing to try. At conferences tonight I was told what a wonderful person my child was, what a joy they were to have in class, how helpful they were in the classroom and how well they get along with their peers. I was also informed that this child had NOTHING less than a B- in any class. This did not come from just one teacher, this came from ALL of them! I briefly explained to a couple of them our experiences the past 2 years and they were dumbfounded. They said they seen nothing like that from my child and were happy that I made the choice to enroll them in their school. When I walked out of that school after talking to the last teacher I had tears in my eyes. I walked up to the principal and thanked them for giving me my child back. I no longer go through the arguments and tears even though this child now gets up over an hour earlier every morning for school. Mornings are a good thing again, well, as good as they can be for mornings anyway ;-)

SOOOOOO, even though I still feel my child is not 100% innocent, I now know that they weren't 100% at fault as I was lead to believe. In my opinion, they couldn't have been or the problems that were going on would have followed them to their current school.

I'll post more on what has happened with my eldest child tomorrow or over the weekend, NONE of it is good, all of it has pushed our stress level through the roof, but it's ok, we've got someone good on our side now ;-)

Thanks again everyone!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Could you please tell me how you go about enrolling your child in a neighboring district? My husband and I have wanted to do this but didn't think we were allowed. If you could please give me details I'd appreciate it so very much!! missyolivo@hotmail.com

Jo said...

Kate,
You're right about it being both frustrating and heartbreaking. We were put into a position where we had no other choice but to pull our oldest child out of TPS today simply because we know that this principal would have gone out of their way to make like a living hell for all of us.

Anonymous,
The only thing I can tell you is to go to the neighboring school district and talk to them about whether or not they have an open enrollment policy. The choice as to whether or not to do it is up to each individual school district. So the only thing I can tell you is to go into the administration office or school office of the school district you'd like to enroll your child into and talk to them, they'll be able to tell you what their specific policy is. Good luck!

Unknown said...

Well you know I cried when you told me you cried but then we keep doing that to each other.

:-)

It shouldn't come to what you had to do, and I know unfortunately I'm probably not going to be far behind you if things keep at their present course. In the end though you did what was best for your children and that's what's most important.

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

That report brought a tear to my eye;-)

You should still follow up with TPS and see this through.

Once most parents move their children, they let things slide, so the problems continue...

Jo said...

lisa renee,
I wish you the best with your daughter and what all you are going through. Once again I'll say that NO parent or child should have to go through any of this with their childs school, it's ridiculous and just proves why children commit acts of violence in their schools today.

Hooda,
I still cry when I talk to peeople about that night, and I still smile when I think about it.

We are pursing a course of action against the principal and TPS because we don't want another parent or child to have to go through this. We were put to a point where we have no other choice about it.